Sunday 28 July 2013

A “level playing field” for all

I am very proud to have been selected as the Labour Party parliamentary candidate for South Basildon and East Thurrock. I have lived and worked in Essex all of my life and am equally proud of our county and its industrial & rural heritage.
Essex’s place in the UK means it is an area of immense opportunity and a popular place to live for citizens who want to work hard and get on in life. Economically the county is a real powerhouse.
As your MP I will always fight in parliament for the best opportunities for my constituents and make sure that South Basildon and East Thurrock residents are treated equally and with respect.
I will fight for a level playing field for all citizens and real opportunity for all. The chances offered to the wealthy and the privileged must be available for all because a divided society is damaging for all.
There has to be a level playing field in Essex for housing opportunities to ensure our younger citizens can live and work in the constituency if they choose.
In education and employment we must offer the best regardless of background and strive to create the most skilled workforce that will help us build our way out of global recession. Having visited Prospects College in Basildon during my first month as your parliamentary candidate I know the infrastructure and ethos is there for our young citizens to succeed.
Last week I visited DP World in Standford-le-hope. A global opportunity for the constituency which must lead to more employment opportunities and a better way of life for the residents of Thurrock and Basildon.
I also visited Basildon Hospital recently and had the opportunity to speak with the Chief Executive and the chair of the Board of Directors. As an advocate for people with learning disabilities by profession I asked specifically about the way people with learning disabilities are treated in the hospital and also received a good overview of the improvements needed and underway post Keogh.
We must protect our NHS from the creeping Tory privatisation we are now seeing and make sure the level playing field continues to extend to those who need medical care, free at the point of need.
As part of my campaign for a level playing field for all I will fight for:-
a compulsory jobs guarantee,
more affordable housing for local residents,
protecting our NHS from privatisation and
provide excellent care for the elderly and most vulnerable,
better roads and transport infrastructure,
great community schools.
As your MP I promise to live in the constituency, work hard for all constituents and fight for a level playing field for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment