Friday 14 March 2014

Remembering Tony Benn

I first met Tony Benn back in 2003 at a dinner organised by the Chelmsford CLP and as well as enjoying his wit and his politics, I found him instantly charismatic and charming. When I first stood for council I wrote to him and to my surprise he phoned me up with some advise and best wishes. An amazing gesture from a busy man who always had time to listen to what people had to say. And that was his legacy. Taking time to talk and listen to people's views, give advice and share his wisdom gained from 50 years in parliament. I met him a few years later in Trafalgar Square with my daughter and once again he listened and spoke about the issues of the day including the newly introduced university tuition fees. A year ago today on 14th March 2013 his son Hilary came to our town and met local residents affected by the bedroom tax to offer support as his father always did. And so today on my 50th birthday, we have finally had to say farewell to a great politician, writer and family man. An inspiration never to be forgotten. Heartfelt best wishes Hilary and his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment